Five Fun Facts About Aladdin
Make way for Prince Ali!
The magic of Disney's Aladdin has been delighting audiences since its premiere in 2011 in Seattle. You can join Aladdin, Jasmine and the hilarious Genie on a magic carpet ride you'll never forget with this Tony-winning adaptation of their 1992 movie. Packing in romance and adventure, and all of your favorite songs from the film including, "A Whole New World" and "A Friend Like Me", this is the ultimate musical spectacular that all ages will enjoy.
Here are five fun facts about the spectacular musical that you may want to know.
1. There are over 300 costumes in the show - 337 to be exact, that's a lot of outfit changes
2. The set is super heavy - weighs the equivalent of 4.5 double-decker buses
3. The Cave of Wonders has a connection with Star Wars. The stage was built using the same golden material used for C-3PO!
4. Oscar-winner Alan Menken wrote the soundtrack - he has eight Academy Awards
5. While this musical is based on the movie, it also includes some characters from the film's early drafts who were ultimately left out of the final cut, including Aladdin's three sidekicks Babkak, Omar and Kassim
What's the story?
Plucky street urchin Aladdin's life is transformed forever when he ventures into the cave of Wonders and discovers a magical lamp. Out pops a manic Genie, who has the power to grant Aladdin three wishes. Aladdin's first wish is to be made into a prince, mainly so he can impress the city's beautiful Princess Jasmine, who he's sure could never love a pauper. But as love begins to blossom between Aladdin and Jasmine, there's trouble on the horizon. The nefarious statesman Jafar knows all about Aladdin's real identity and the power of the lamp, and is determined to secure the Genie's magic for himself!